Environmental Job and Intern Opportunities
Des Moines, IA
Status: Permanent, full-time salaried position
Reports to: Executive Director
BACKGROUND AND SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The development director is responsible for creating and fulfilling annual plans to meet the Council’s funding needs with a primary focus of individual giving and major gifts, and secondarily working on grants and events.
The director is responsible for participating in and coordinating all individual giving including major donor solicitations, membership retention and development, and direct mail. The director will be expected to improve the rate of retention, identify new donors, and increase donations. The director is responsible for establishment of a legacy or planned giving fund. The director works closely with program staff to help prepare compelling grant proposals and reports and researching grant opportunities. The director is primarily responsible for tracking and reporting of all grants and gifts in a timely and accurate manner. This position will oversee special events and is responsible for coordinating solicitations of businesses that support our Annual Conference and other projects.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
• Develop and manage individual giving and major donor programs including cultivation and solicitations.
• Manage the direct mail campaign to increase and retain individual, cooperator and organizational memberships, including writing and overseeing production of member recruitment mailings, renewal mailings, regular special appeals and acquisition mailings.
• Coordinate, plan and implement organizational development strategies with board members, staff and development committee
• Manage a fall campaign utilizing volunteers to meet individually with donors.
• Research and track foundation grant funding opportunities; in collaboration with program staff, write and edit proposals and reports; ensure deadlines are met and provide regular updates to board and foundations.
• Research and prospect for new grant opportunities to meet grant revenue budget goals.
• Major role in the planning and implementation of the Annual Conference and special events.
• Develop and implement a plan to expand business contributions generally
• Conduct analysis of membership recruitment and retention activities and plan future efforts
• In conjunction with communications, oversee management of IEC’s database system (DataBank)
• Work with executive director to develop revenue projections and track throughout the year.
• Serve as a backup for Communications in the use of action alerts, Twitter, Facebook and E-news announcements.
• Serve as a backup for gift processing including deposits, credit card charges, data entry and production of acknowledgments.
• Background (minimum 4 years) and successful track record in fundraising, particularly membership/donor recruitment and retention and secondarily, grant seeking and reporting.
• Ability to communicate strengths and needs of the Council and directly solicit gifts on an in-person basis.
• Communicating and writing in a clear and compelling fashion.
• Experience with leading event planning and organizing.
• Self-motivation and initiative.
• Ability to multi-task and coordinate several projects simultaneously while keeping track of the big picture. Must have superb organizational skills.
• Good interpersonal skills and flexibility.
• Able to travel and meet with a current or prospective donor and successfully develop a prospect and obtain a contribution.
• A passion for IEC’s mission. Enthusiasm for representing a dynamic organization.
• Knowledge and comfort level working with donor databases, spreadsheets and creation of merged documents.
• Familiarity with Iowa funding sources and regional sources of environmental, natural resources and energy funding.
• Experience securing corporate sponsorships and planning events.
• Experience working in a non-profit setting with a mission-driven staff and board.
• Knowledge of DataBank
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Executive Director Ralph Rosenberg at Rosenberg [at] iaenvironment [dot] org. Applications will be accepted through Jan. 31, 2015 or until the position is filled.
Beginning in January 2013, the Iowa Environmental Council shares job listings from our coalition of member and cooperator organizations on our blog.
We welcome submissions for jobs, interns, and long-term volunteer opportunities from our member and cooperating organizations. Do you represent one of these organizations? Send your opportunity to email@example.com.