Clean Energy Field Organizer
Date Posted: 11/13/2019
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Title: Clean Energy Field Organizer
Reports to: Energy Outreach Coordinator
Status: Temporary, full-time salaried position, non-exempt
Date Range: November 2019 through October 31, 2020
Location: Des Moines, IA metro
The Iowa Environmental Council (IEC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Founded in 1995, IEC is the largest and most comprehensive environmental coalition in the state, comprised of diverse organizations and individuals working together to protect and preserve Iowa's natural resources. Together, we unify Iowans to advocate for clean water and land stewardship, clean energy, and a healthy climate.
By amplifying the voices of Iowans and leveraging our collective influence, we advocate for a cleaner, healthier Iowa at the legislature, rule-making agencies and, when necessary, in the courts.
Through education, advocacy and coalition building, we raise awareness, generate action, and create large-scale change that makes Iowa a better place to live, work, and explore.
Disclaimer: IEC is a non-partisan organization and does not endorse or oppose any candidate for elective office.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Iowa and the United States must reach 100% clean energy production in order to counter the climate crisis. This yearlong project of the Iowa Environmental Council will work to raise the prominence and visibility of clean energy and climate issues through Iowa’s presidential caucuses and into the fall of 2020. Organizers are required to attend campaign, climate, and community events to identify and build a statewide network of clean energy supporters. Organizers will work to convert these supporters into active advocates. Two (2) to three (3) organizers will be hired as part of this project.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Help the Iowa Environmental Council increase the recognition of clean energy solutions among the public
- Work directly with the Energy Outreach Coordinator to identify campaign, climate, and community events to recruit supporters
- Represent the organization at campaign, climate, and community events through attendance, conversations with attendees, and acquisition of supporter’s contact information
- Set up and staff tables at events
- Distribute materials and branded items at campaign and community events
- Help the organization plan, host, and crowd build for supporter events
- Identify and interact with climate and clean energy supporters to meet sign-up goals
- Conduct on-going outreach to identified supporters to encourage them to take actions
- Collect video testimonials from climate and clean energy supporters to be used in the project’s digital efforts
- Participate in visibility activities, using creative tactics, to draw attention to climate and clean energy issues
- Meet regularly with the Energy Outreach Coordinator to assess achievement of goals; including number of events attended and sign-ups obtained by the organizing team
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings, deliver updates on goals and event planning
- Perform other duties as necessary such as input of supporter information in database
- Ability to work independently under a deadline to meet goals
- Outgoing and comfortable interacting with the public
- Knowledge of and interest in clean energy and climate issues
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license
- Travel required across central Iowa, with some statewide travel
- Flexible schedule to attend meetings and events as needed, including some evenings and weekends
- Undergraduate degree
- Understanding of Iowa’s political and legislative process and landscape
- Previous campaign and/or organizing experience
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Flex Savings
- Parking Provided, Travel Reimbursed
Annual Salary Range
Please send resume, and cover letter to Jordan Oster; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: This position does not involve lobbying, ranking or endorsing candidates, or educating candidates about issues. The focus of this position is elevating awareness of clean energy solutions among members of the public. Part of the orientation process for this position will be a review of policies and procedures that comport with that objective.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.