Date Posted: 9/28/2020
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Title: Executive Director
Status: Permanent, Full-time salaried, Exempt
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
The Iowa Environmental Council educates, advocates, and builds coalitions, raises awareness, generates action, and impacts policy to make Iowa a better place to live, work, and explore. The IEC is the largest and most comprehensive environmental coalition in the state.
We are a strong, stable organization that is well-positioned for continued success in the years to come. The Board and internal team are passionate, steadfast, and aligned in their path forward. From this great baseline, the IEC Board seeks a transformational chief executive to stretch the organization to new levels and accomplish a bold vision for the future.
This role might be for you if you are…
- Passionate about the environment and policy and dedicated to improving and protecting Iowa’s natural resources
- Outcomes-focused, with a can-do attitude, are skilled at project management, and proactively drive for results
- Globally-minded and are able to envision ideas and programs implemented with cultural awareness and agility throughout the state
- An effective engager of stakeholders and able to relate to their needs, circumstances, and priorities
- An effective manager of the staff, encouraging personal development resulting in service excellence, and maximizing resources available
- Future-thinking and constantly looking ahead to anticipate difficulties and ways to work around them
- Accepting of accountability for outcomes, and circumstances that are within your sphere of control
- Revenue-minded and able to creatively identify AND market new revenue-generating programs and services
- Highly synergistic, with a proven record of accomplishment in building partnerships with other environmental associations in the state and across the country
- An effective relationship builder who can skillfully navigate differences and difficulties while maintaining healthy relationships and a positive environment
What you will do…
- Demonstrate executive direction and Board interaction, as well as outstanding management expertise through communications, community-influencing, and action-taking
- Be accountable for the success and impact of all IEC programs, including advocacy, education, coalition-building, marketing, and more
- Advise, when appropriate, IEC Board on legal issues, strategic considerations, operational improvements, and other matters that advance the mission of the organization
- Assist the IEC Board to develop long-term strategic plans that advance the mission
- Coach staff and other resources to put strategic thinking into action, communicating regularly, and achieving desired outcomes; achieve a high-performing, collegial, engaged staff team
- Interact with partner organizations, companies, and environmental agencies
- Oversee all financial matters of the Council, including budget development, AP/AR, reporting, etc.
- Minimum three years related management experience with demonstrated organizational, operational, and management experience within the non-profit sector, preferably with a similar environmental association
- Experience working with environmental regulating agencies is preferable
- Experience in grant development and fundraising is highly preferable
- A creative mind, capable of “out-of-the-box” thinking to solve problems
- Relationship building skills to cultivate and maintain engagement with partner organizations and volunteers
- Effective communication skills are essential
- An undergraduate degree is required, advanced degree is preferred; work experience may substitute
- High level of strategic and financial management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Starting salary ranges from $70,000 to $85,000 and will be commensurate with experience.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurances
- Simple IRA
- Flex Account
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- Paid Office Parking
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references electronically to the IEC Search Team: email@example.com.
Learn more about us at: www.iaenvironment.org
Application Deadline: October 23, 2020
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to provide assistance and to work with people and groups from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation, disability and/or ethnic backgrounds.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.