Date Posted: 11/9/2017
Type of Employment: Intern
Position Title: Advocacy Intern
Status: Part-time volunteer position
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Reports to: Government Relations Manager
About the Iowa Environmental Council: Founded in 1995, the Iowa Environmental Council is the largest and most comprehensive environmental coalition in the state. We are a nonpartisan alliance of diverse organizations and individuals working together to protect and preserve Iowa's environment. Together, we unify Iowans to advocate for clean water & land stewardship, clean energy, and a healthy climate.
Position Summary: The Advocacy Intern will assist the Manager of Government Affairs in all aspects of IEC’s advocacy strategy. This may include the development of advocacy materials, outreach, collaboration with member organizations, research and policy development, and direct communication with elected officials and candidates.
Specific duties may include:
- Developing “Report Cards” for Iowa Gubernatorial candidates
- Developing advocacy materials for legislative and public audiences
- Policy research regarding water quality, clean energy, and other issues
- Assisting the Government Affairs Manager with tracking and summarizing legislation
- Attending meetings and hearings at the Capitol
- Attending meetings with member organizations and policy groups
Qualifications and desirable qualities
- At least three years of coursework towards a Bachelor’s Degree in political science, law, communications, or related field
- Excellent communications and writing skills
- Knowledge of the Iowa legislative process and landscape
- Experience with political or issue-based campaigning
- Self-motivation and flexibility. The ability to organize workload and work independently in a multi-project environment and conduct oneself in a professional manner
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for protecting Iowa’s environment
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. Hours can range based on availability but will be around 16 hours per week.
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter and resume to Kitty Jacobson at the Iowa Environmental Council, 521 East Locust, Suite 220, Des Moines, IA 50309-1939, EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.