Communications and Outreach Intern
Date Posted: 11/20/2017
Department: Communications & Outreach
Type of Employment: Intern
Position Title: Communications and Outreach Intern
Status: Part-time, paid internship position from January – Early May 2018
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Reports to: Development Director and Government Relations Manager
About the Iowa Environmental Council: Founded in 1995, the Iowa Environmental Council is the largest and most comprehensive environmental coalition in the state. We are a nonpartisan alliance of diverse organizations and individuals working together to protect and preserve Iowa's environment. Together, we unify Iowans to advocate for clean water & land stewardship, clean energy and a healthy climate.
Position Summary: The Communications and Outreach Intern will assist the IEC staff with all aspects of organizational communication and outreach. This position will have the unique opportunity to manage aspects of IEC’s communication strategy. This may include social media outreach, staffing at events, event planning and promotion, writing for blogs, letters to the editor and carrying out communication strategies.
Specific duties may include:
- Monitoring media hits and social media metrics
- Staffing an IEC exhibit table at events
- Creative promotion of IEC activities at the Iowa Capitol on Social Media
- Assist staff with writing outgoing communication: emails, press releases, etc.
- Attend environmental policy meetings during the legislative session
- Assist with planning and preparation for Environmental Lobby Day and Pro H2O, IEC’s summer fundraising event
Qualifications and desirable qualities
- At least three years of coursework towards a Bachelor’s Degree in communications, political science, public relations, or related field
- Excellent communications and writing skills
- Understanding of how to use Facebook and Twitter to promote messaging
- Ability to multi-task and manage short-term and long-term deadlines
- Self-motivation and flexibility. Ability to organize workload and work independently in a multi-project environment and conduct oneself in a professional manner
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for protecting Iowa’s environment
This is a part-time, paid internship position. Hours can range based on availability but will average 20 hours per week from January through early May 2018.
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter, one writing sample and resume to Kitty Jacobson at the Iowa Environmental Council, 521 East Locust, Suite 220, Des Moines, IA 50309-1939, EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.