Date Posted: 1/2/2020
Type of Employment: Intern
Date Posted: January 2, 2020
Type of Employment: Intern
Status: Full-time volunteer position
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Reports to: Staff Attorney
The Iowa Environmental Council (IEC) seeks to hire a 1L or 2L law student intern for summer 2020. The Legal Intern will assist IEC attorneys in conducting research, drafting documents, and supporting litigation or other advocacy efforts. The work will support the Clean Water and Land Stewardship program and the Clean Energy program.
IEC’s Clean Water and Land Stewardship program pursues solutions that are economical, sustainable and environmentally sound. The legal intern will have the opportunity to conduct research related to water quality standards and drainage laws in Iowa and other states, attend meetings with partner organizations, and attend hearings of the Environmental Protection Commission.
IEC’s Clean Energy program works to accelerate Iowa’s transition to renewable energy and energy efficiency. The legal intern will have the opportunity to conduct research related to Iowa Utilities Board proceedings, analyze effects of legislation, and attend utilities board hearings.
- Research legal issues identified by supervising attorney.
- Write memoranda providing legal analysis and summarizing findings within specified deadlines.
- Provide support for IEC’s advocacy efforts, including document review, contact with state agencies, and other advocacy needs, as appropriate.
- Work with IEC attorneys to support IEC’s legal needs, including analysis of potential cases, research and development of legal strategies, litigation, and general legal advice.
- Attend state agency meetings and hearings as appropriate and participate in IEC meetings.
Qualifications and desirable qualities
- Must have completed at least one year of law school (open to 1Ls and 2Ls)
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for protecting Iowa’s environment
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. IEC encourages interns to obtain funding through public interest fellowships or other outside sources. IEC will also work with students seeking work study or course credit for their experience.
Candidates should send their cover letter and resume to Kitty Jacobson, Finance and Operations Administrator, at Iowa Environmental Council, 505 Fifth Ave, Suite 850, Des Moines, IA 50309, or via email to Jacobson@iaenvironment.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply by February 2, 2020. Position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.