Summer Water and Land Program Intern
Date Posted: 3/30/2021
Type of Employment: Intern
Department: Water and Land Program
Status: Full-time Temporary position (8 weeks)
Location: Des Moines, Iowa (Virtual)
Reports to: Water Program Director
The Iowa Environmental Council (IEC) seeks to hire an intern for summer 2021. The intern will assist IEC Clean Water & Land Stewardship program staff with executing program deliverables, including research, analysis, and writing, developing communications materials, supporting events, and other clean water advocacy efforts.
IEC’s Clean Water and Land Stewardship program pursues solutions for Iowa’s water pollution and land use issues that are economical, sustainable and environmentally sound. Summer work centers on recreational lakes and waterways. The intern will assist with policy analysis and research as well as communication and outreach efforts of the program. The intern will be expected to work remotely, but in-person attendance at meetings may be possible depending on pandemic conditions.
- Research topics and issues as identified with water program staff.
- Coordinate and execute a video highlighting the importance of recreational lakes and waterways.
- Provide support for IEC’s outreach and advocacy efforts, including document review, contact with key researchers and partners, and other advocacy needs, as appropriate.
- Assist with communications efforts, including writing and curating content for the Weekly Water Watch e-newsletter.
- Assist with environmental justice efforts, including research and outreach.
- Attend and represent IEC at meetings and events as necessary.
Qualifications and desirable qualities
- Current undergraduate student in environmental science, political science, communications, or a related field
- Excellent research, analytical, and writing skills
- Graphic design, photography, and/or videography skills
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for protecting Iowa’s environment
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
This is a paid, full-time (40 hour/week) position to be completed in eight weeks. Start and end dates are flexible.
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Candidates should send their cover letter and resume to Ingrid Gronstal, Water Program Director, at Iowa Environmental Council, 505 Fifth Ave, Suite 850, Des Moines, IA 50309, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply by April 15, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.