Date Posted: 8/23/2021
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Reports to: Finance and Operations Administrator
Status: Permanent, Full-time Salaried, Nonexempt
Location: Des Moines, IA
The Iowa Environmental Council is a 501(c)3 nonprofit environmental law and policy organization that educates, advocates, and builds coalitions to make Iowa a better place to live, work and explore. We provide a highly collaborative, supportive, and flexible work environment.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Administrative Assistant works closely with the Finance and Operations Administrator to ensure efficient operations of the organization including office oversight, human resources and personnel, Board of Directors support, assistance as needed to the Executive Director, Communications Director, Director of Fundraising and Development, and others as needed.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Management of various calendars and meeting schedules
- Organize and maintain filing systems
- Oversee and comply with best practices for record retention and destruction
- Assist with maintaining all organizational policies including personnel handbook
- Ensure all insurance coverage and policies are current and appropriate
- Work with managed IT provider to ensure systems are adequate and complying with current cybersecurity best practices, IT support, and system troubleshooting
- Maintain supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders for supplies
- Ensure operation of equipment by calling for repairs, maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Communicate with building maintenance regarding office needs and repairs
- Assist with employee onboarding and termination processes
- Post position openings on appropriate job boards
- Assist supervisors with job descriptions and employment agreements
- Assist with employee timesheets and PTO tracking
- Schedule meetings
- Assist with creation of meeting agendas and materials and Board of Directors communications for monthly board meetings and appropriate board committee meetings
- Attend Board of Directors and appropriate committee meetings, capture meeting notes and create a summary of meeting details
- Assist with planning and preparation of annual board/staff retreat
- Assist the Executive Director as needed with calendar schedule, meeting preparation, correspondences
- Assist the Communications Director as needed with mailings, outreach events, marketing supplies and materials
- Assist the Director of Fundraising and Development with event planning and preparations, donation acknowledgement letters and other mailings, donor database record maintenance
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Writing proficiency and accuracy
- Knowledge of appropriate software including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Managing processes
- Takes initiative and solves problems
- Supply management and inventory control
- Willingness and interest to pursue work through an equity lens
- A passion for IEC’s mission
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Experience with donor databases
- Willingness to learn or experience in basic website updates
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Family Leave, and Volunteer Time
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Flex Savings Account
- Simple IRA
- Paid Parking
Compensation Range: Starting at $40,000 to $42,000 per year based on experience and qualifications.
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted through September 15, 2021.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.