Clean Energy Field Organizer- Waterloo/Cedar Falls
Date Posted: 8/25/2021
Type of Employment: Part-Time
Position Title: Clean Energy Field Organizer
Position Information: Temporary, Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Date Range: September 2021 through August 2022
Reports To: Energy Outreach Manager
Location: Waterloo-Cedar Falls
The Iowa Environmental Council is a 501(c)3 nonprofit environmental law and policy organization that educates, advocates, and builds coalitions to make Iowa a better place to live, work and explore. We provide a highly collaborative, supportive, and flexible work environment.
100% Iowa is a grassroots project of IEC that brings together and empowers Iowans to advocate for a 100% clean energy future.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Clean Energy Field Organizer is a member of our grassroots energy campaign who will work collaboratively to grow support for local clean energy goals. The organizer will attend events, conduct outreach and build relationships with community members, environmental supporters, organizations and businesses in order to activate them to advocate for local efforts to achieve 24/7, 100% clean energy.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Help the Iowa Environmental Council and the 100% Iowa project grow our grassroots network of clean energy supporters in Waterloo and surrounding communities.
- Represent the organization at events; engage with clean energy and climate supporters and acquire contact information to meet sign-up goals
- Conduct on-going outreach to identified supporters to encourage them to take actions such as contacting officials, signing a petition, attending a public meeting, writing a letter to the editor, and sharing social media content
- Work with the Energy Outreach Manager and the Energy Campaign Coordinator to identify in-person and virtual events to recruit supporters, including environmental gatherings, public meetings, and community and campus events
- Set up and staff tables at community events and help the organization plan, host, and crowd build for events
- Arrange meetings with individual advocates, local groups, and clean energy businesses and customers
- Collect photos and video testimonials of supporters to be used in the social media and communications campaigns
- Participate in visibility activities, using creative tactics, to draw attention to climate and clean energy issues
- Meet regularly with the Energy Outreach Manager and Energy Campaign Coordinator to assess strategies and achievement of goals
- Coordinate as required with other Energy Program and IEC staff to support collaborative and organization-wide efforts
- Attend scheduled staff meetings/calls, deliver updates on sign-up and engagement goals
- Perform other duties as necessary, such as regular reporting and timely input of supporter information in database
- Previous campaign and/or issue organizing experience
- Knowledge of and interest in clean energy and climate issues
- Outgoing and comfortable interacting with the public in a variety of settings, in-person and virtual
- Willingness and ability to travel in Waterloo and surrounding communities to meet independently with people and organizations, consistent with safety guidelines
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet goals
- Flexible schedule to attend meetings and events outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Willingness and interest to pursue work through an equity lens and to reach out and build relationships with new partners
- A passion for IEC’s mission
- Experience with city-level organizing
- Understanding of the community’s local organizations, political landscape and governmental processes
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Compensation: $15.00 per hour
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Friday, September 24, 2021.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.