Advocacy and Communications Associate - Energy & Climate
Date Posted: 5/12/2023
Department: Communications & Outreach
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Title: Advocacy and Communications Associate
Reports to: Director of Communications
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
The Iowa Environmental Council is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and the largest environmental coalition in the state. Through education, advocacy, and coalition-building, we raise awareness, generate action, and create large-scale change. We work on federal, state, and local public policy issues to ensure a just, healthy environment and sustainable future for all Iowans. We provide a highly collaborative, supportive, and flexible work environment.
Scope of Responsibility
The Advocacy and Communications Associate will work closely with members of IEC’s staff to assist in the development and delivery of advocacy messaging and outreach strategies for a portfolio of subject matter areas including clean energy, climate change, and environmental justice.
The Associate will create content for internal and external communication vehicles including websites, emails and newsletters, social media, presentations, fact sheets, talking points, press releases, action alerts, and others as identified in support of IEC goals. This includes support for Current State, our clean energy newsletter, and for work related to energy efficiency, electrification, renewable energy, battery storage, and eliminating fossil fuels. This position will work in collaboration with a cross-functional team with expertise in communications, legislative advocacy, corporate responsibility, legal/regulatory work, grassroots organizing, coalition-building, and environmental science and policy.
The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of Iowa’s environmental issues and political landscape, and will be skilled at translating technical, scientific, and policy information into accurate and compelling communications and outreach materials.
Description of Duties
- Provide project management, writing, analysis, and support of assigned communications and outreach materials.
- Assist with the planning, creation, and execution of internal and external communications including reports and publications, email, social media, blog posts, guest columns or letters to the editors, talking points, factsheets, infographics, and other items as identified.
- Assist in the development and implementation of program and project-specific communication strategies to promote and disseminate key messages on policy priorities to policymakers, key stakeholders, and the general public.
- With the input and assistance of the Communications Director and energy program staff, manage regular email, web, and social media and content related to clean energy, climate change, environmental justice, and other relevant issues.
- Assist with preparation of multimedia presentations for educational and outreach events.
- Attend and represent IEC at outreach events and meetings with stakeholders as assigned.
- Assist with maintaining the IEC website including posting and formatting content, updating the event calendar, monitoring for needed updates and working with staff to facilitate these updates.
- Maintain monthly reports on IEC communication and outreach deliverables.
- Assist with communications for general IEC operational needs, such as board elections, organizational membership announcements, and other needs as identified.
- Recommend ideas to increase IEC’s impact and audience reach using communication and marketing tools, lists, and resources.
- Ensure IEC’s outgoing materials adhere to identified brand and grammatical standards.
- 2 or more years of professional experience in a relevant role.
- BA or coursework in communications, public relations, journalism and/or marketing, with experience or coursework in environmental science, environmental policy, sustainability, engineering, economics, political science, or related field.
- Willingness and ability to travel and meet independently with people and organizations and attend meetings statewide, consistent with safety guidelines; must have valid driver’s license.
- Ability to attend events as assigned some weekends or evenings; flex time provided.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects in a frequently changing environment.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet goals.
- A passion for IEC’s mission and a commitment to principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Background with customer or supporter databases, email marketing software, and social media platforms.
- Graphic design interest or experience, including use of graphic design tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva, and others.
- Experience working with traditional media including print and T.V.
- Experience with communications in the context of a political or issue campaign.
- Photography, video, or drone experience.
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Family Leave, and Volunteer Time
- Paid Holidays
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Simple IRA
- Flex Savings Account
- Parking Provided, Travel Reimbursed
- Flexible work arrangement including working from home and/or outside of regular business hours as approved by supervisor
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Pay Range: $48,000 – $52,000 depending on skills and experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Kitty Jacobson at email@example.com by May 30.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.