Date Posted: 8/29/2023
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Title: Executive Director
Position Information: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Board of Directors
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
IEC is the largest and most comprehensive environmental coalition in the state. IEC's mission is to create a just, healthy environment and sustainable future for all Iowans. Through education, advocacy, and coalition building, we raise awareness, generate action, and create large-scale change on federal, state, and local public policy issues. We envision a state that is a leader in addressing climate change and environmental justice, and in creating resilient communities that embody Iowans' shared values of respect for all people and the environment.
We are a strong organization that is well-positioned for continued success in the years to come. The Board and internal team are passionate, steadfast, and aligned in their path forward. Like many environmental organizations, we are also in a moment of significant opportunity and evolution as threats from climate change and historic federal investments impact the policy landscape and our work. The IEC Board seeks a strategic, creative, and insightful executive director to ensure the organization continues to thrive in accomplishing our bold vision for the future and in setting a mutually supportive and energizing organizational culture.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership, strategy, and operation of the organization. These responsibilities include managing a complex budget of approximately $1.5M in annual operations; leading a team of thirteen staff, including six direct reports; playing a key role in fund development planning and implementation; developing and sustaining relationships with donors, business owners, and lawmakers; and maintaining a strong relationship with the Board of Directors.
Organizational management and operations
- Lead staff to put strategic thinking into action, communicate regularly internally and externally, and achieve organizational goals
- Manage a high-performing, collegial, engaged staff team while maintaining an inclusive, outcomes-focused culture
- Be accountable for the success and impact of all IEC programs, including fundraising, advocacy, coalition-building, marketing, and education
- Oversee all financial matters of the Council, including yearly audits, budget development, grants, monthly financial reporting, employee benefits package, and payroll
- Ensure financial stability and sustainability of the organization
- In collaboration with the IEC Audit Committee, engage in best practices for organizational insurance, risk management, and equity-based internal policies
- Help staff secure resources and funding to implement organizational and programmatic strategic plan initiatives
- With Fundraising and Development Director, develop and implement a fund development plan that includes opportunities to increase unrestricted funding
- Develop and manage a diverse, engaged nonprofit Board aligned with IEC’s mission
- Communicate in a consistent, transparent way with the IEC board on strategic considerations, operational improvements, and other matters that advance the mission of the organization
- Assist the IEC Board to develop and operationalize strategic plans
- Recruit new active, engaged board members and ensure they have a solid understanding of the organization’s mission and programs
Relationships, Partnerships, and Communications
- Publicly convey the organization’s message with the support of an expert, engaged staff
- Build relationships with partner organizations, supporters, businesses, and environmental agencies
- Maintain relationships with existing funders, including individuals, private foundations, and government agencies; cultivate relationships with new supporters, paying particular attention to cultivating new major donors
- Connect the organization and staff with community partners that help advance the impact and strategic goals of the organization
- Minimum 5 years related management experience with demonstrated organizational, operational, and management experience, preferably within the non-profit sector, or equivalent experience
- Experience in cultivating donor relationships, grant management, and fundraising
- Ability to develop and nurture partnerships with diverse groups, including business and industry, toward common goals
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen well, build trust, model healthy conflict resolution, and work effectively with and value differences of diverse groups of individuals
- An undergraduate degree is required, advanced degree is preferred; work experience may substitute
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- High level of strategic and financial management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Starting salary ranges from $100,000-110,000 and will be commensurate with experience.
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Simple IRA
- Flex Account
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Office Parking
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references electronically to the IEC Search Team: email@example.com
Priority will be given to applications submitted by October 2, 2023.
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to provide assistance and to work with people and groups from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation, disability and/or ethnic backgrounds.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.