Legislative Portal: Legislative Events
Throughout session and the year, there are activities hosted by IEC, legislators, and other groups you can participate in to engage and be heard by representatives.
Environmental Advocacy Day
Each year, IEC hosts individuals and organizations from across the state at the Iowa State Capitol for Environmental Advocacy Day. This year environmental advocates met with legislators at the Capitol for IEC's Environmental Advocacy Day on Monday, February 27, 2023.
IEC Advocacy Trainings
IEC offers live and virtual advocacy trainings throughout the year free of charge. Check out our events page for any upcoming dates. You can also view an online advocacy training hosted in 2021 on-demand on our YouTube channel.
Nature's Advocate 101: Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation hosted Nature’s Advocate 101, a one-hour webinar talking with former legislators about how to be an effective advocate, shared INHF’s 2023 legislative priorities, and took questions about conservation policy and how to be a voice for the voiceless — our land, water, wildlife and future generations. Watch the recording here.
Legislative Committee Meetings
Legislative forums are a great way to interact with your elected officials. For tips and tricks on attending a legislative forum, check out this blog. These forums are not hosted by IEC.
View the updated forum list for this week.
The following sources track legislative forums during the session:
Note: These links will lead to sites not owned by the Iowa Environmental Council. Opinions on external sites are not endorsed by IEC.
Other Helpful Info for the Public
- The Legislative Dining Room (room 15) will be used for outside groups between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Monday through Friday. Do not change the layout of the room. This is booked by the Chief Clerk’s Office. After 9 a.m. the Senate will be using it for Legislative purpose.
- Senate rooms are not available for outside groups between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- House rooms have limited availability for outside groups between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Contact the Chief Clerk’s Office to reserve space.
- Senate north and south galleries are open. However, room 319.4 and tables in south gallery are for media only.
- House north and south galleries are open.
Capitol Event Calendars:
The following links show daily events taking place at the Capitol throughout the 2023 session.
Return to Legislative Portal