Date Posted: 5/22/2023
Department: Communications & Outreach
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Reports to: Energy Outreach Manager
Status: Temporary, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
ABOUT THE IOWA ENVIRONMENTAL COUNCIL (IEC)
The Iowa Environmental Council is a 501(c)3 nonprofit and the largest environmental coalition in the state. Through education, advocacy, and coalition-building, we raise awareness, generate action, and create large-scale change. We work on federal, state, and local public policy issues to ensure a just, healthy environment and sustainable future for all Iowans. We provide a highly collaborative, supportive, and flexible work environment.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Campaign Organizer will provide administration, outreach, and internal communications support as a key contributor in an on-going campaign to hold polluters accountable and achieve a clean energy future for Iowa. With superior organizational skills, the Campaign Organizer will coordinate across the structure of the campaign, working with internal staff, external partners, and consultants. The Campaign Organizer will work collaboratively while managing projects and deadlines, communicating key information to coalition partners and ensuring the successful implementation of initiatives. The position will also deepen our coalition’s impact by engaging in grasstops outreach, building relationships, and organizing campaign activities that further the goal of retiring coal plants in Iowa. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of energy and climate issues and the ability to translate complex information into accurate and compelling outreach materials.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Provide project management and coordination support for the collective activities of a diverse coalition of organizations including meeting agendas, schedules/calendar invitations, and communications after and between meetings
- Assist with updates to plans, schedules, and reporting
- Support the strategic development of the campaign, including making recommendations on tactics and activities, participating fully in strategy discussions, and creating a communications loop between coalition partners
- Lead specific areas of outreach, building relationships to recruit leaders to participate in campaign efforts
- Conduct ongoing outreach to identified supporters to encourage them to take actions such as contacting officials, signing a public letter, appearing in videos, attending a press event or rally, and writing a letter to the editor or opinion piece
- Develop compelling calls to action to be used by coalition partners and IEC
- Conduct outreach to crowd build for events
- Plan and participate in visibility activities, using creative tactics, to draw attention to climate and clean energy issues
- Leverage the capacity of partner organizations to increase grassroots support for initiatives
- Work with vendors to procure materials and services
- Attend all scheduled IEC staff meetings and calls, deliver updates on coalition progress and engagement goals
- Two years of previous campaign and/or issue organizing experience
- Knowledge of and interest in energy, environment and climate issues
- Comfortable interacting with the public and partners in a variety of settings, in-person and virtual
- Willingness and ability to travel and meet independently with people and organizations and attend meetings statewide, consistent with safety guidelines; must have valid driver’s license
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively to meet goals
- Flexible schedule for travel to meetings and events including evenings and weekends
- Willingness and interest to pursue work through an equity lens and to reach out and build relationships with new partners
- Understanding of Iowa’s political landscape
- A passion for IEC’s mission
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Family Leave, and Volunteer Time
- Paid Holidays
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Simple IRA
- Flex Savings Account
- Parking Provided, Travel Reimbursed
- Flexible work arrangement including working from home and/or outside of regular business hours as approved by supervisor
The Iowa Environmental Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community engaged with working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from all qualified applicants.
Pay Range: $43,000 – $45,000 depending on skills and experience.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Jordan Oster at email@example.com by June 9, 2023.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.