Date Posted: 5/23/2017
Type of Employment: Full-Time
The Iowa Environmental Council seeks an experienced professional to oversee operations, manage financial performance, and exhibit leadership skills as executive director of the organization. The philosophy of the Council is to generate public policy dialogue and decisions through advocacy, coalition building, and research and education, with our organizational and individual member partners, committed to protecting Iowa’s natural resources. The Council recognizes that our success comes from building relationships within our communities, and with policy makers, regulators and funders. For more information, please view the full job description.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3 years operations and management experience
- Demonstrated financial and fundraising skills
- Commitment to improving and protecting Iowa’s natural resources
The Council offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Qualifications and Desirable Qualities
- Excellent leadership skills and a vision for achieving a healthier environment for the citizens of Iowa
- A personal and professional history of commitment to the goals of environmental quality and sustainability
- Ability to develop and nurture partnerships with diverse groups, including business and industry, toward common goals
- Ability to effectively advocate with legislators, regulators and decision-makers, as required
- Strong development skills
- Ability to manage professional staff
- Minimum of three years' relevant experience with environmental/natural resource policy and administration
- Strong analytical and communications skills
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field, advanced degree preferred
- Ability to understand organizational finances
- Policy development and advocacy
- Communicate, promote, and implement the Council's priorities highlighting the relationships between priorities to reinforce a single message of a more sustainable environment for Iowa.
- Financial management and fundraising
- Preparation, communication and implementation of the annual budget.
- Ability to develop fundraising strategies and participate in fundraising activites.
- Community and member relations
- Work with Council members and supporters, community leaders, policy makers, business, agricultural interests, media and diverse groups to achieve the Council's goals and policy objectives.
- Represent the Council as the primary spokesperson.
- Increase the impact of Council membership
- Administration and management
- Manage the organization's resources to carry out the mission and vision of the Council and its strategic plan.
- Supervise and evaluate staff, contractors and volunteers to include hiring, motivating, communicating and fostering development in compliance with law and regulation.
- Provide leadership to create a positive workplace atmosphere.
- Maintain positive relationship with board of directors
- Implement policies approved by the board.
- Keep board informed of progress and challenges in policy matters, financial management, community relations, and organizational management.
- Support the board by assisting with board member recruitment and orientation.
- Maintain and support positive staff/board relationships.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with knowledge and experience
- Health insurance and long-term disability insurance plans
- 15 days paid vacation
- Nine paid holidays and one floating holiday
- Retirement plan
For more information, please view the full job description.
Please submit a resume and a one-page letter explaining your interest in this position, salary requirements, and availability date if selected to Sarah Lohmeier, Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is July 14, 2017. For additional information about the Iowa Environmental Council's work, please visit our website.
The Iowa Environmental Council is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
1. View job description
Choose the job opening above that you are interested in and click "More Information" to view the full job description.
2. Cover letter & resume
Please include a cover letter and resume with your application. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager listed in the job opening.
If you are a final candidate for the position, you will be contacted by the hiring manager. No phone calls or emails please.