Weekly Water Watch
Weekly Water Watch is IEC’s summer newsletter that provides weekly updates on Iowa E. coli and microcystin beach advisories, important water quality news, and water-related events across the state.
Weekly Water Watch started in 2018 to increase awareness of Iowa’s recreational lake water quality and make monitoring data more accessible and easy to understand.
Current Beach Advisories - Week of May 22, 2020
Beed's Lake Beach (Hampton, Franklin County, IA)
Denison Beach (Black Hawk Lake, Lake View, Sac County, IA)
Lake Darling Beach (Brighton, Washington County, IA)
Read Past Weekly Water Watch Issues
Notable Statistics from Summer 2019
- Total number of E. coli advisories = 60
- Total number of microcystin advisories = 21
- Honey Creek Resort Beach, Lake MacBride, and North Twin Lake East Beach experienced their first recorded advisories for microcystin since data collection began in 2006.
- Of 37 weekly monitored beaches, 20 beaches recorded swim advisories this summer. 17 beaches did not record an advisory.
- Backbone Beach was under advisory for E. coli for the first 13 weeks out of 15 weeks total.
- McIntosh Woods Beach at Clear Lake was under advisory for E. coli the last 9 weeks of the summer out of 15 weeks total.
- If Iowa had adopted the EPA’s recommended advisory threshold for microcystin, which is 8 micrograms/L, an additional 14 advisories would have been issued for microcystin in 2019.