Earth Week 2020 - What You Can Do From Home
by Angelisa Belden on Monday, April 20, 2020
Happy Earth Week! In 2020 we're celebrating 50 years of Earth Day - a day to call attention to our individual and collective actions and how they impact our own backyards, across the nation, and around the world.
Just a few months ago, plans for the 50th anniversary of Earth Day were looking pretty different. The calendar was full of events and activities to take action to improve the health of our planet. But that doesn't mean there aren't many ways we can still collectively make a difference!
IEC has gathered a number of resources and ideas that you can do throughout the week, or on Earth Day, Wednesday, April 22, to make a difference in your corner of the planet. If we each do our part, together that adds up to a big impact. Also, be sure to visit the EPA's Earth Day page for ideas and information.
Virtual Earth Day Activities & Events
- Virtual Earth Day Global Climate Strike, hosted by Iowa Climate Strike
- Virtual Earth Day Celebration, hosted by Millennials for Climate Action
- Earth Week Chalk Challenge - IEC has partnered with Water Rocks! at ISU for a week long chalk art challenge
- Independent Earth Day Trail Clean Up - Urban Ambassadors provides tips to do an individual clean up on a local trail, sidewalk, or wherever you choose
- Participate in Earth Day Live on Wednesday, April 22
- Take a Virtual Walk in the Woods with our friends at Trees Forever on April 24
- Join Uniting From Home Virtual Earth Day Event on April 25
- Host a personal Earth Day film fest - use your favorite streaming service to choose environmentally focused films such as An Inconvenient Truth, Chasing Coral, Earth, March of the Penguins, Wall-E, The Lorax or others.
- Read the book in advance of 100% Iowa's Renewable Readers virtual book club on April 30
Activities Around the House or Yard
Around the Neighborhood
- Take a set of gloves and a trash bag on your next walk to pick up garbage or debris on your sidewalk, street, or roadway
- Clear leaves, debris, and trash from storm drains along your street in front of your home or along the road
- Go fishing - for trash!
Have ideas or an event to share? Let us know at email@example.com.